Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Vegetarian, here we come!

So as Lent continues, here is my meal plan for the coming week:

Wednesday: Salmon quiche with pear & cucumber salad and roasted Jerusalem artichokes.  (Yes, they're still hanging around waiting for me to do something with them! And now our produce basket this week has an excess of pears and cucumbers.)

Thursday: Pasta and vegetable-based sauce (since we missed out last week)

Friday: Baked potatoes and salad

Saturday: Pork chops and veges (in the freezer from last week, too)

Sunday: Eggs of some description (omelet, poached, scrambled... I'll see what we feel like)

Monday: Pumpkin and chickpea casserole (a new recipe I am trying)

Tuesday: Vegetarian chilli (also in the freezer)

We've done meal planning on and off all through our marriage, so it's nice to be back in the habit.  Having said that - I've learnt that it's always just a plan.  I don't think I've ever set up a week of meals and done every single meal on the day I'd planned to do it!  I'm trying to be smarter about leftovers though, so I can take it easy some nights during my boys' "witching hour" (usually 5-6 p.m.) by just pulling out something from the fridge or freezer that's all ready to be heated.

It has been a dull day outside, and the blokes are all a bit snuffly or croaky with a cold going around, so I made these cookies as a treat with the cranberries I'd frozen at Christmas time.  Yum!  They won't last long around here.  I think I've already had five (instead of lunch).  It makes 3-4 dozen.

My modifications: I prefer ordinary chocolate chips over the white ones, and no more than a cup.  Today I had lime zest rather than orange.

P.S. 1 cup butter = 8 oz = 2 sticks = @250g
P.P.S. There is a lot of sugar in these to offset the tartness of the cranberries.  You could easily use less.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great - very yummy cookies!