Friday, March 2, 2012

It's a Matter of Taste

I cooked the Jerusalem artichokes from our produce basket the other night.  I had trawled the internet for recipe ideas, even finding this site dedicated to lovers of this particular tuber. They have a similar nutritional value to potatoes, I discovered.

I ended up roasting them because it seemed the simplest method to prepare (i.e. hands off, yes, I can deal with whatever you need for the next half hour, J).  They were easy enough to cook, and only discoloured a little (a bit like how kumara does when you cook it).

And the verdict?  Well, N and I weren't that excited.  It reminded me of some other taste/smell I can't pinpoint.  Not disgusting, I'd eat them if I was served them, but I won't be going out of my way to buy some.  Having said that, J was quite happy to eat his serving and some of ours.  This is the boy who will generally only eat potatoes in the form of chips or wedges.  Believe me, we've tried lots of other ways too!  So I guess that if we end up with these little nuggets again, J will be feasting on them.

1 comment:

April said...

Glad to know the J man likes them! :)