Wednesday, September 12, 2012

From my Kitchen...

We ran out of pancake syrup the other day.  I just hadn't got around to getting it, so when I spied a simple recipe in one of my Destitute Gourmet cookbooks, it was sure to be made!  3 ingredients later we have a yummy syrup for less than I can buy it, and it tastes better.  Not to mention, no high fructose corn syrup or other additives in sight.

I didn't have the usual vanilla essence in the cupboard because I've got some heavenly pure vanilla essence from Mexico that we bought on our San Antonio trip.  (Along with the vanilla flavour, there is a delicate aftertaste reminiscent of coconut, despite the only ingredients being alcohol and vanilla beans!  It gives a slightly tropical hit to the syrup.  Mmm.)

Homemade Pancake Syrup

Simmer 1 cup of brown sugar with 1/2 cup of water until the sugar dissolves and stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence.  Simple, eh?  I think you could probably fake maple syrup if you substituted maple flavouring - just like a bought one!

At the moment, my syrup is masquerading in the fridge as molasses because I haven't relabelled the jar. I hope it lasts longer that way. :o)

Alongside pancakes, I've enjoyed a swirl of this syrup in our homemade yoghurt.  (My 'go to' yoghurt flavour is honey and a dash of cinnamon.)

We've had our EasiYo maker in North America for the longest time, but I can't afford the packet mixes here (and I'd have to get them sent from California).  So this option is out.

I don't have a candy thermometer so it makes heating milk to the right temperature a little hard, but I've experimented successfully with adding an active plain yoghurt to warmed milk and then putting that in the EasiYo, but the results were variable and the process messy.

Then I found this recipe to make yoghurt in a slow cooker.  Perfect!  I set the timer and I don't have to worry about getting the right temperature, and it makes a 1/2 gallon (2L)!  I skim a bit of the whey off the top before I scoop it into containers (so it is thicker), and it's done.

No comments: