Monday, June 4, 2012

Berry Nice

The kitchen has been busy here lately, despite the heat.  I got a good deal on some blackberries (12 x 6oz punnets) through our food co-op a fortnight ago and this week I've ordered strawberries.

One punnet was made into blackberry and apple galette based on Sophie Gray's "Free-form fruit galette" (from Destitute Gourmet: Everyday Smart Food for the Family, p. 51).  The pastry is deliciously 'short' and easy... 1 heaped cup flour mixed with 80g butter until crumbly, add enough water (a few tablespoons) to bring it together in a smooth dough.  Rest in fridge 20 mins.  Roll out in rough circle of 35cm and place on baking sheet.

The recipe calls for egg yolk to seal the pastry but I didn't bother.  It is then supposed to be sprinkled with 2 Tbsp of semolina, which I didn't have.  I didn't have quick cooking tapioca either (the US pie-making staple) so I substituted 2 Tbsp of dry baby rice cereal (of which I have plenty at present!) to absorb the fruit juices as the galette cooked and prevent soggy pastry.  Then pile prepared fruit in the centre (about 700g).

Fold up the edges to encase the fruit and sprinkle with sugar, up to 1/3 cup.  Instead of using egg white to glaze the pastry, I dampened the exposed edges with water and sprinkled some sugar there too.


Bake approximately 35 minutes, or until fruit is cooked and pastry golden.  Serve with cream or icecream for a decadent touch. :o)


This one wasn't as spectacular as another galette I baked earlier in May with super-ripe apricots, mangoes and blackberries... odd but delicious combo!  This is a very versatile recipe that can be used with preserved, tinned or fresh fruit in virtually any combination (draining the juice or syrup off, of course).

Two more punnets of blackberries have been frozen for use in future pies, muffins, etc.

The remaining punnets were cooked in two batches of apple and blackberry jam.  The recipe is from a NZ food magazine but I've lost the reference (I think it may have been the inaugural issue of Dish).

Wash and thinly slice 350g of apples, leaving the core in and skin on. (I took out the stalk.)

 Place in a large saucepan with 1 kg of (washed) blackberries and 2 c water.  Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer until apples are very soft.
 Remove the fruit with a slotted spoon and blend in a food processor until smooth.
 (Weigh the bowl you are about to use, or reset your scales to zero with the bowl on top.) Place a sieve over a bowl and push the fruit pulp through using the back of a spatula or metal spoon.  You should have about 1/2 c of seeds to discard, or else your sieve may be too fine. (I had way more to discard but I wasn't about to ruin my flour sifter!)
 Strain the cooking liquid over the sieved pulp and whisk together.  Weigh the mixture and add an equal weight of sugar, e.g. 500g of fruit pulp needs 500g sugar.  (See why it was important to weigh the bowl now?)  Put fruit and sugar back into the cleaned saucepan.  Add the juice of 1 lemon.  (I had frozen lime juice so I used about 4 Tbsp.)  Heat gently to dissolve the sugar - important so jam doesn't crystallize and go sugary when stored. (Put a saucer in the fridge to cool.  Sterilize jars.)
 Increase the heat and boil rapidly to setting point (see below), skimming any foam from the top.  (It only means the finished jam is more attractive, but I figure that the apples here are usually waxed so skimming of the froth can't be a bad thing!)
 Pour quickly into sterilized jars and seal.  (I finally found a use for all those baby food jars that are accumulating.)  Seals should 'pop' in when cool.  Store in a cool dry place.  (If seals don't pop, store in fridge and use within 6 weeks.  Makes about 4 cups.
Setting point:  To test for setting point, place a small amount of jam on a chilled saucer.  Gently push it with a spoon (not your finger - this stuff is hot!).  If it wrinkles it is at setting point otherwise, keep boiling.  When setting point is reached this jam sets quickly!
Sterilize jars: put through a hot cycle of the dishwasher.  Or wash in hot, soapy water; rinse well; place on an oven tray on a cold oven; heat to 250*F and leave for 1/2 hour.  Handle with care!

1 comment:

Rebekah J Scott said...

I loved reading this! Because I read it in your voice, accent and all! I need to find a metric to US standard converter. I doubt that will be hard. I'm sure all I need to do is google it. Maybe the first time I make this I can get you to come over and walk me through it. There are some terms you used I'm not familiar with. So I'll have some questions.

Bekah