Sunday, October 21, 2012

Kids in the Kitchen: Chicken Noodle Soup

J and I made another recipe from his Sesame Street cookbook this Friday.  Well, really we made something loosely based on the recipe - it doesn't seem that close now that I look at it!

He chose Big Bird's ABC Chicken Noodle Soup:
 According to the recipe, there wasn't really many steps the he could do (only measuring pasta) so J did that.  But he also counted out carrots, handed me a partially peeled onion, poured the chicken broth from the can into the pot... and asked a zillion times if it was ready yet! :o)
 Of course, I can never find alphabet pasta when I want it, so we made do with tiny stars instead.  J loved it.  So did C (mostly throwing pasta around).  It was pretty tasty for the 'big kids' (me and N) too. Guess we'll be having "Chicken and Stars" regularly this winter.  (And I need to buy alphabet pasta in bulk next time I spot it!)
Chicken and Stars Noodle Soup

3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped (approximate - I just used a large handful from the freezer!)
1 onion, sliced
1 large chicken breast (I chopped it into 4-5 pieces to help it cook faster)
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
5 c water
1 bay leaf
1/2 - 1 tsp salt (depending on saltiness of broth)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 c uncooked little noodles

Combine vegetables with chicken, broth, water, herbs and salt in a large saucepan.  Heat to a boil over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is cooked (approx. 30 mins).  Remove chicken and chop or shred into very small pieces while returning the soup to a gentle boil.  Add noodles and cook until noodles and vegetables are tender (approx. 7 mins).  Add chopped chicken back to soup and simmer 1 minute to heat through.  Serves 4-6.

J Tip*: To cool chicken and stars quickly, place spoonfuls on your placemat and pick out the bits.  Drink the broth last, straight from the bowl!

*Only partially endorsed by Mum.

1 comment:

April said...

Love the "JTip" at the end. That made me laugh!